Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Tweet

Dee Gordon's Fan Box

Dee Gordon on Facebook

Followers

Become fans of Rocky and Bailey for everyone needs a little R & B in their life!

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Breakfast for one






Whats on Dee's plate...

Cooking for one does indeed have its challenges. While there are meals I cook for one, I mostly cook a good portion or two and save for leftovers. Saving me from having to cook all of the time.

If left up to me, I would skip breakfast...and sadly...sometime I do. I pretty much force myself...something I very much struggle with.
I like to keep a few hard boiled eggs in my refrigerator, for those times I need some protein...something quick and easy.

Boxed cereal is always on hand though something I only reach for once in a while...and again, it is done for it's convenience. One thing you will not find is the heat and serve oatmeal....yuck. Too sweet, too mushy...gag. Even the old fashioned oatmeal....it really is a textural thing...I do not like mushy.

With that stated...I do keep oatmeal on hand...steel cut. It has a nutty flavor...has a bit of a bite to it...that is if you do not over cook it.
For those with a more hectic schedule then I you can make it over night in your slow cooker. I have the time to cook it on the stove...takes about a half hour or so. I make four servings...it is cooked in water....kept plain and refrigerated. Then when I want it is is reheated with a tiny bit of milk and whatever spices, fruit I happen to be in the mood for that day....all ingredients are fresh.

This mornings oatmeal had some honey....just a touch...nutmeg, cinnamon...then added about a 1l4 cup of organic vanilla yogurt...mixed then topped with chopped walnuts and banana (with a few slices of banana pushed to the side), served with half an orange on the side.
A hearty breakfast with a bit of a nutty bite on this cold winter day.

Oh...and yes....I do share a few slices of banana with the dogs once my breakfast is completed. They wait patiently until I'm done....and politely remind me if I forget to give it to them.


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Gone but Never Forgotten

Gone but Never Forgotten
Related Posts with Thumbnails